Sunday 14 September 2014

Welcome to MHF 4U Semester 1 201415

Hi everyone. This blog will be devoted to two sections of Grade 12 Advanced Functions at Glebe Collegiate Institute in Ottawa. Semester one 201415 year. This blog is intended to document our journey. Comments are welcomed from students, parents and others. Of course I will moderate the comments.

First and foremost I spent the last week of the summer preparing my room for Visible Random Groupings and Vertical Non Permanent Surfaces. You can read about these here.

Here are a few pictures of our environment for learning taken from the four corners of my room. In fact I used one of them for the background to this blog.                   



I am very happy with how the room turned out. Of course here we are the second week of school finished and I am not finished with the details of the room yet.

The curriculum document for this course can be found here.

There are 4 strands
in this course. Each one has 3 or 4 Overall Expectations (or Big Ideas as I like to call them)

A. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions


B. Trigonometric Functions


C. Polynomial and Rational Functions


D. Characteristics of Functions


There are also 7 Mathematical process expectations that are the foundation to learning and understanding mathematics that underlie all mathematics courses in high school. They are at the front of the curriculum document mentioned above if you would like to read about them in more detail. The image below gives a summary.



I hope everyone enjoys the journey through this blog. It is all about the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment